Thursday, December 31, 2009

Day 2 and I'm up early...

Thank you steroids for allowing me to go to sleep at 8:00pm, but then waking up at 5:00am. I've been up for about 52 minutes, but who's counting? Yesterday was much better than the last first day of the cycle. I was waiting for the ball to drop all day yesterday and waiting on the feeling for the bus to hit me, but it didn't happen. OH and yes, you do feel as if you got hit by a bus on top of being hungover. I guess it's funnier to say I was drunk and then hungover and then got hit by a bus, by accident. Actually not really, because I don't think it'd ever be fun to literally get hit by a bus. I'll stop now. I did decide there is no way better for me to end 2009 and begin 2010 without my famous letters, so here I go...

Dear 2009,

I started out the year with a bang...my 24th birthday was amazing, to say the least. It was filled with good friends (one who travelled from NY to spend it with me, thanks Er!) and well of course, good drinks. I ended the night by wishing on my birthday candles, for what I always wish for. And no I will not share the wish. BUT I can say this, I wish I had wished for good health. Moving on, the summer months passed by, which were also a blast...spending time at the pool with my friends and naturally, making my monthly trips out to the OC to see my sister, brother-in-law, and nephew, Marshall. No, my sister did not have a baby, unless you count puppies as babies? Hmmm. It was not until August, dear 2009, that you decided to take me on a wild ride. I was diagnosed with cancer. Wah-wah-wahhhhh. My life was then filled with doctor appointments, scans, needles galore, and pretty much left me with the LAMEST social life ever, and even having to change my work schedule. Not to even mention, I had to cancel my travel plans to Chicago and miss my friend's wedding in September! I was also no longer spotted at Yardhouse on a Saturday night with a vodka tonic, 2 limes, in hand. But give or take any day of the week, you could find me getting a needle stuck somewhere at a doctor's office, or wait, or at home...because my poor dad had to stick me with about 40 needles to preserve my fertility and then had to give me weekly injections during chemotherapy to ensure my white cells are up! Thanks Dad, you needle rockstar. :) If you were looking for my Mom for the past few months, she was busy stirring up some delicious, organic recipes for me. You could also spot the three of us at Whole Foods, at least two times per week. NOVEMBER 11, 2009, you left me with a smile - why, you ask? BECAUSE I got a CLEAN PET SCAN!!! PEACE OUT cancer, but hello I have to finish chemotherapy still. Anyways, 2009 - you teased me because you started out being pretty amazing, but I can't really say you ended that way. But I will say this...thank you, because I think I learned a lot from what happened in your month of August and I don't think I'll ever forget the valuable lesson that came with it.


Dear 2010,

I know that we have to start January and February off by finishing my chemo treatments and that's not a fun way to start the new year, but I'll take it, as long as you PROMISE that the rest of the year will be better. Deal? Deal. And as far as my 25th birthday in March, we all know that I'll be wishing for good health 25 times. But I'll keep my 26th wish as the special wish I'll never tell. I am thankful that after February 2010, it means my hair growing back at full speed, no sleeping hair caps at night, going back to the OC monthly, making trips to Chicago and New York, renewing my gym membership and heading back to spin, never seeing the image of my dad holding a needle saying "readddy Laur?? Just a little pinch.", only visiting the oncologists office for my 3 month PET scan to hear, "Lauren, your cancer is still in remission.", going out again with my friends and showing them my sweet dance moves I've been working on during chemo, and possibly even dating again. And guess what I can say on my blind dates???? That's right...I've got eggs frozen. haha KIDDING! :) Okay, that's all...all I know is that 2010 better mean good health and maybe the year to CURE CANCER and free all these good people from having to deal with it!!!!

Love,
Lauren

(For the record, I am NOT going out tonight, I will miss Dick Clark ringing in the new year - mostly because Lauren goes to sleep at 8:00pm, but just know that I am going to wake up on January 1, 2010 being hungover anyways, like the rest of you - not because of a vodka tonic overload, but because of our good friend chemo partying it up in my body. This is definitely not to make you jealous.) haha....

2 comments:

  1. My wish in 2010 would be for your complete recovery as well. I also have a wish (prayer) that I cannot say either and we both shall hope for our wish!!!
    God Bless! And Happy New Year! Vicky :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not much longer and you will be DONE!!! I'm sure 2010 will be a great year for you to celebrate kicking cancer's butt. I'll be here in the snowy cold midwest doing a happy dance for you on your last day of treatment! :) And I think I'll join you in taking an 8pm bedtime on New Years Eve tonight... it sounds like a fab idea. :)

    ReplyDelete