Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Post surgery

I have completed my last round of surgery for the time being (that is until they remove the port in 6 months)! The port is in and chemo-ready. I was lucky enough to have my Mom, Dad, and Aunt at the hospital with me today by my side and praying. Again, today was not as bad as I had worked myself up for it to be. I couldn't sleep last night and watched old episodes of Saved by the Bell at 4:00a.m. due to my anxiety. At the hospital, I had the most awesome nurse who started an IV that was pretty much painless. And the anesthesia was much easier to come out of versus the last time. I didn't wake up to the feeling that someone had shoved rocks down my throat due to the tube they use. I got a special little mask this time. And I got to see all the nurses in the recovery room from last time and they remembered me! One even came over and hugged me. It made me feel really good to wake up to that. I am definitely sore on the right side of my chest and can't do much with the motion in my arm right now, but it'll get better within the next few days. The doctor even cleaned up my previous surgery scar and it looks significantly better, not so much Frankestein-ish. Also, I received some wonderful news prior to going into surgery. My test results from the bone marrow came back and the evil Hodgkin's cancer cells are NOT in my bone marrow! I told my Dad that I wanted to frame the results because I loved seeing the positive words on the report. For instance "no sighting of the Reed Sternberg cell" (that is the cell that indicates Hodgkin's) - I was so happy that it made me tear up in the waiting room. So, for all of you that are praying, including myself....keep it up, it's working. So now we just wait for the treatment plan, but it will for sure be starting next week and I am hoping to be treated on Mondays or Fridays because my sister really wants to be there for me (as she is commuting from California). On a side note, I have to mention again that I have the best family and friends ever. My parents go above and beyond to make me feel comfortable (even when I'm a bit moody) and have turned into my personal chefs and nutritionists, my sister and brother-in-law are in contact with me on a daily basis always trying to make me smile, my aunt and uncle gave me their treadmill for my room so I can get my workout on during treatment and are also in contact with me daily, and I get an abundance of texts/phone calls/e-mails from all of my friends, including co-workers. I COULDN'T ask for a better support system, it just doesn't get any better. Oh and for those of you that are wondering, I didn't mention doing tequila shots in the OR today... :)

1 comment:

  1. Lauren I am so glad things are going fast, and they are getting you cancer free as fast as possible, it sounds like you have wonderful doctors. I am always thinking of you! I am glad you are feeling ok for the most part, and are healing from your surgerys. Good luck with your treatments. I will talk to you soon!!


    Love Rachel

    ReplyDelete