Monday, August 17, 2009

The diagnosis

As many of you know or do not know, I have been diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma which is also known as Hodgkin's Disease. Hodgkin's is a form of cancer and affects the lymph nodes. It is stated to be 99% curable, which means that after I go into remission, there is a 1% chance I will be affected again. This disease typically affects young adults aged 15-35. So, the big question at hand is how did I find out I had this? On August 1st, I was having dinner with some of my friends and noticed a "lump" above my collarbone. I have not been feeling sick lately and have not felt any decrease of my energy levels, so I knew something was not right. The following Monday I went to see an oncologist who prescribed me Amoxicillin, as she stated it was probably just an infection and the prescription should take it away. I saw a general practitioner who took X-rays, but also stated "don't worry about it, it's probably just an infection." It was not until I was sent for a CT scan that they noticed abnormalities in my lymph nodes. I was then sent to a general surgeon. The general surgeon ordered a fine needle biopsy, which took place on Friday, August 7th. The fine needle biopsy results came in as inconclusive, which means there was not enough evidence in the biopsy to conclude any results. I was then requested to get a minor surgery where they would be removing my entire lymph node. This surgery took place on Friday, August 14th. It was after this surgery that it was concluded I had Hodgkin's Lymphoma. It is predicted I am in Stage 2a of this disease. This means I have 2 inflamed lymph nodes on one side of the diaphragm and I am asymptomatic.

No comments:

Post a Comment