Monday, August 17, 2009

How am I feeling...oh, that is the question

The question everyone loves to ask me, "how are you feeling" - the answer to that question is great. Remember, I have NO physical symptoms whatsoever. If I wanted to, I could go outside and run a half marathon. It is my mental state that is currently being affected. July 31st, feeling fine, life is good and by August 4th, I could have cancer? I have to go through chemotherapy? I am going to lose my hair? Can I continue on with my education or do I have to take a leave of absence? Am I going to be able to be fertile to have children after chemotherapy? Are people going to look at me differently, such as my friends and family? Are people going to "feel sorry" for me? These are all questions running through my mind ALL day long ever since there was speculation I had Hodgkin's Disease. For many of you that ask me "how are you feeling" - I hope that can answer it. It is a lot to absorb and it is difficult for not only me to absorb this, but for my family and friends to and I realize this. NOBODY ever thinks this is going to happen to them or someone they are close to. EVERYBODY takes their health for granted on a daily basis and lives their life carefree and normally (which you should, don't get me wrong). But, take a step back every now and then and thank God (or whomever you'd like to thank) for your good health. Because trust me, without good health, there is not much you can do. Of course, I am scared to go through this journey because of the fears I stated above. My life is going to change drastically for the next 4-6 months, which means you probably won't be running into me at Town Square having a shot of goldschlagger anytime soon. But I am going to do my best to stay positive and look for the light at the end of the tunnel, because that's all I have right now. I am so lucky to have amazing friends and family to support me through this. Because I will make it through it...and I will have a shot of goldschlagger at the end of the tunnel. But do remember friends and family, this is not going to be easy for me one bit. Continue to be patient with me...if I shut you out, it's not because I don't love you more than anything, it's because I am scared to let you in at this time. But don't worry, I will.

1 comment:

  1. Portland PattersonsAugust 17, 2009 at 9:49 PM

    Thank you Lauren for taking the time to put yourself out there like this. We are grateful to be able to follow your battle with Hodgkin's without being too disruptive.

    We're sending you all our thoughts and positive energy from Portland!

    ReplyDelete